in

Black Label Suicides

Xbox 360 Backwards Compatible

Last post 11-01-2005 6:46 PM by BLS BOB. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-17-2005 5:29 PM

Xbox 360 Backwards Compatible

• 05-18-2005 1:08 PM In reply to

Re: Xbox 360 Backwards Compatible

Car, it is backwards compatible but, there is a lot of speculation to the way Mr. Gates explained it. It will be backward compatible with all the "Top Xbox Games" does that mean they pick which ones to emulate?

• 05-18-2005 3:21 PM In reply to

I think it's just worded like that to cover thier ass.  Still it's better then nothing.  It's not like I'm going to want to play too many of my old games but it would be nice if most of them work in the 360. 

• 05-19-2005 1:10 PM In reply to

Yeah, that's probably right Car. It will be just like the PS2 and PS1, not ALL the games will work.

• 05-20-2005 3:53 AM In reply to

• er1c
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-21-2004
    • Saint Louis, Missouri
    • Posts 339

xbox-scene says it will run for sure the best selling games, and they are gonna try for all of them
    Kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out.
  • 05-21-2005 2:21 PM In reply to

• MmCark
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-23-2004
    • STL, Missouri
    • Posts 374

yay!  This is all good to hear....I hate it when a new console comes out and you leave your previous console's games behind
  • 05-22-2005 5:33 AM In reply to

yea i know what you mean what really sucks is my bro just got his xbox and my new xbox crapped out on me so i got a re replacement plan one so i got 2 new xboxs and now 360 is comming out? that sucks! o well i just sold my old xbox for 20 bucks lolYes
    Time is an Illusion, and so is Death.......
  • 06-10-2005 6:47 PM In reply to

More in-depth on the backwards compatibilty:

In an interview with Bit-Tech.Net, Richard Harris of ATI has revealed the very first details on how backward compatibility will work on the Xbox 360. Explaining the role ATI hardware will play in the process, Harris states:

“They have implemented compatibility purely through emulation (at the CPU level). It looks like emulation profiles for each game are going to be stored on the hard drive, and I imagine that a certain number will ship with the system. They already have the infrastructure to distribute more profiles via Live, and more and more can be made available online periodically.”

The Director of European Developer Relations at ATI and former nVIDIA employee explained that the most difficult part of making backward compatibility possible will be with the graphics:

“Emulating the CPU isn’t really a difficult task. They have three 3GHz cores, so emulating one 733MHz chip is pretty easy. The real bottlenecks in the emulation are GPU calls – calls made specifically by games to the nVIDIA hardware in a certain way. General GPU instructions are easy to convert – an instruction to draw a triangle in a certain way will be pretty generic. However, it’s the odd cases, the proprietary routines that will cause hassle.”

Harris also explained that contrary to what most people think, the RSX (featured in the PlayStation 3) is not more powerful than the Xbox 360 graphics chip ATI has developed for Microsoft. So, although the RSX has a higher clock speed, the different nature in both consoles’ shader architecture makes a direct comparison absurd.

“That mere 10% clock speed that RSX has on Xenos is easily countered by the unified shader architecture that we’ve implemented,” explains Harris. “Rather than separate pixel and vertex pipelines, we’ve created a single unified pipeline that can do both. Providing developers throw instructions at our architecture in the right way, Xenos can run at 100% efficiency all the time, rather than having some pipeline instructions waiting for others. For comparison, most high-end PC chips run at 50-60% typical efficiency. The super cool point is that ‘in the right way’ just means ‘give us plenty of work to do’. The hardware manages itself.”

Harris also discussed other interesting topics and gave his own word on the much discussed superiority of the PlayStation 3 over the Xbox 360. To read the complete interview, click here.

• 10-06-2005 4:20 PM In reply to

More info from Peter Moore -

A Bit More Information About Backwards Compatiblity
    10.06.2005 13:38 | KhanMan | Systems | Xbox 360
    Xbox360News.com | Read & Add Comments (27) | Link to this article

Speaking recently to GameInformer.com, Peter Moore said that Microsoft "will probably be in a position in about two weeks" to post a list of Xbox games that will  be playable on its next-gen console at launch on Xbox.com.  No further explanation about how many titles this will include is not mentioned. 

Moore continued, saying that the compatability list "will grow and grow and grow" and will "get updated as more and more games get through certification", suggesting that the company may be planning a larger backwards-compatible catalogue than previously expected.

• 10-31-2005 10:07 PM In reply to

• Mnoland
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-31-2004
    • in ya dome
    • Posts 338
    • Captain

if it wassnt for backwards compatibility i would have got to play perfect dark through to completion but nooo while fellowemployees were basking in the glory of p.d. zero i was messing with all this old crap we will throw in the back of the closet... not happy lol
    ralphus ?
  • 11-01-2005 12:46 AM In reply to

what do you mean throw in the closet? does that mean there getting rid of old gametypes etc.!
    A man without pants is a free man.
  • 11-01-2005 6:46 PM In reply to

• BLS BOB
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-27-2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 820

He means that while the wave of next generation titles are hitting us, we'll be so preocupied that we'll barely remember any our original xbox titles. I don't know for myself. I might just take a peak at far cry (the last pretty FPS of this gen) once in awhile trying to see what went wrong there that the next gen could improve on.

Get your own Gamercard Sig.
    ITS NOT THAT IM GETTING OLD, YOUR MUSIC REALLY SUCKS
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)