in

Black Label Suicides

Dead Rising - Review

Last post 09-08-2006 10:59 PM by Mnoland. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-07-2006 11:15 AM

Dead Rising - Review

8.7 from TeamXbox -

Overall Gameplay Impressions:

Dead Rising is about as “next-gen” a game as we’ve seen on the Xbox 360. There’s no doubting the fact that the developers at Capcom took some definite chances in the game’s basic design, but the aspect of being trapped in a mall actually pays great dividends once you discover everything that is offered within your concrete confines. Killing zombie after zombie represented a serious pitfall for the game to fall into. Is it possible to wreak havoc on thousands of flesh craving halfwits and still make it fun? Dead Rising proves that it most certainly can be. The game makes a few blunders here and there, but certainly nothing that ruins the overall gameplay experience. With its huge inventory of activities and missions, there’s plenty of reason to turn around and play this game again once you finish the initial play through. The bottom line is this: Dead Rising is fun and it stays that way from beginning to end.

The Bottom Line

Dead Rising may not be a game for everyone, but it for those that have enjoyed past Capcom games and zombie games of the past will definitely want to check this out as it’s completely dissimilar from anything you’ve seen before. The astounding level of variety that is packed into the game is wonderful to see. While side missions can be tedious at times, there’s nothing that’s truly forcing you to complete them so feel free to steer clear if you like. The story is engaging and semi-comical at times, it definitely heads in a different direction than you’re expecting at the beginning. In short, this is the game that you should own in the interim between now and the holiday season’s onslaught of gaming bliss.

• 08-07-2006 3:55 PM In reply to

Re: Dead Rising - Review

Awesome, thanks Weapon
    "Damn Mongorians, breakin down ma shitty wall."
  • 08-08-2006 9:13 AM In reply to

Another review from IGN -

Closing Comments
    Though Dead Rising may seem like a simple, mindless game when you first pick it up, it eventually reveals itself as a deeper experience. Tons of extras are packed into Willamette's shops, there are magazine power-ups and special drink mixes to be brewed, lots of clothing combinations, countless pictures to be taken and plenty of NPCs to be saved. The game provides an incentive for every aspect, making each worth pursuing. It's a game that somehow remains cohesive despite having so many seemingly unrelated elements. The save system means you're going to be playing through the 72 Hour and Overtime modes multiple times, but at least along the way you'll level up, get the best ending, nab more achievements, and get better scores on the Xbox Live leaderboards. With a better save system, more intelligent NPCs, a more forgiving story progression, and tighter controls, Dead Rising could have been even more fun than it already is. Even despite those issues, after several times through it's impossible to deny the appeal inherent in slaughtering Willamette's zombified shoppers. Now if only there was a cooperative mode. We suppose we'll have to wait for the sequel, if Capcom decides to make one. As it stands, Dead Rising is one of the more unique and entertaining titles on the Xbox 360.

IGN's Ratings for Dead Rising (X360)
    Rating Description See Our Glorious Home Theater Setup!
    out of 10 click here for ratings guideGet Ratings Information
    6.5 Presentation
    A good story mixes with a helpful map, statistics menu, and side quest selector. The frustratingly limited save system and frequent load times bog down this score.
    8.5 Graphics
    Tons of zombies onscreen, very rare framerate hitches, plenty of visual variety, lively animations, and a very well detailed mall.
    9.0 Sound
    Squashing a skull has never sounded so good. Dead Rising is infested with excellent audio. Voice acting is pretty good, and the music is hilariously appropriate.
    7.5 Gameplay
    There's lots of killing to be done, and plenty of ways to do it. Controls are overall adequate but cumbersome when precise timing is required, and the NPC A.I. can get in the way.
    8.0 Lasting Appeal
    Though it'll be familiar ground after a while, the sheer amount of things to do will keep you coming back. The three game modes provide different experiences. Where's the multiplayer?
    Impressive
    OVERALL
    (out of 10 / not an average)

• 08-09-2006 7:04 AM In reply to

anyone played it yet?

besides noland..

Do I smell the revolting stench of self-esteem?
  • 08-10-2006 6:18 PM In reply to

yah how is it? ima zombie fan myself =)
    A man without pants is a free man.
  • 08-10-2006 8:38 PM In reply to

dude...

its great

so much stuff to kill and kill with...

really good single player game, i just wish everything wasnt timed...

Do I smell the revolting stench of self-esteem?
  • 09-08-2006 10:59 PM In reply to

• Mnoland
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-31-2004
    • in ya dome
    • Posts 338
    • Captain

im still hopeing other dead riseing players get more competitive with the leader board. a little competition can bring out the perfectionist in me i love this game. right now i more than double the highest score on my list which is snoope come on people i didnt even try lets go for those 50 survivors
    ralphus ?
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)