in

Black Label Suicides

HDTVs

Last post 12-09-2006 7:10 AM by KINGACE. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-23-2006 7:35 AM

• KINGACE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-16-2004
    • Around here somewhere
    • Posts 702
    • Colonel

HDTVs

Ok so I really wanna get a HDTV and im lookin at some diff ones,tryin to keep under 1000 any suggestions pleez link, these are some im lookin at,sorry link is so long http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_ex_p_image_aspect_ratio/103-8546452-2510222?ie=UTF8&rh=n%3A172282%2Cn%3A1065836%2Cn%3A172659%2Cp%5Fdisplay%5Fsize-bin%3A00280%7B30%20to%2039%20in.%7B%2Cp%5F3%3A%24500-%24999&page=1 

also this one http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&sku=222-4377&redirect=1 Im lookin at you Car lol

Get one !!! Gamercard Sig.
  • 11-23-2006 1:48 PM In reply to

• Gojira
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-16-2004
    • Usually spotted going to and from Tokyo Bay...
    • Posts 712

Re: HDTVs

http://tinyurl.com/u6kks

JVC sets are awesome. I had a JVC 27" for about 5 years before upgrading to a 27" LCD version earlier this year. Using it for both my PC and my TV (what little I watch) is great, not to mention the quality is phenomenal. Only thing I don't like is how the vast majority of home theatre components these days are going to the "match-everything"silver/gray...

Anyway, I'd recommend the above-linked one, it's the larger and newer version of the one I've got. I've played a little Xbox on it, and can only imagine what it would look like with the 360's output...and then I start to drool on my keyboard.

Resolution is phenomenal, 178-degree viewing angle (while getting to be the standard nowadays) is sexy, colors are more vibrant than many of it's competitor's, and the only problem I've ever had with anything JVC was severing one of the connections on my Component jacks when I moved from MD up here to NH...stupid people and wiggling cables to unplug something...

"Caw, caw, *BANG* FUCK I'M DEAD!" - Top Dollar, The Crow

"Physics is like sex: It may yield practical results, but that's not why we do it." - XKCD

God created whiskey to stop the Irish from taking over the word.
  • 11-23-2006 2:38 PM In reply to

I don't have much advise on HDTV's.  I've got one but we don't have any HD sources except the 360 and that's not hooked up to that TV normally. 

• 11-24-2006 9:34 PM In reply to

If you have any specific questions I can probably answer them. I have done some reserch over the last couple months. I have a Sharp Aquos 46" LCD.

I know that Samsung make very nice LCD's thats why Microsoft uses them for their Kiosk.

U prolly want to do 1920x1080 I or P, HDMI maybe? Tell me what you want to do and I can tell ya what ya need! 

• 11-24-2006 9:40 PM In reply to

OH, sorry, almost forgot.

http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/ 

• 12-03-2006 12:13 AM In reply to

WEAPON X:

If you have any specific questions I can probably answer them. I have done some reserch over the last couple months. I have a Sharp Aquos 46" LCD.

I know that Samsung make very nice LCD's thats why Microsoft uses them for their Kiosk.

U prolly want to do 1920x1080 I or P, HDMI maybe? Tell me what you want to do and I can tell ya what ya need! 

so whats the difference between LCD, HD, Plasma and all that, I don't know one from the other... plus I hear some burn out on ya

"True love is hard to find, sometimes you think you have true love then you catch the early flight home from San Diego, and a couple of nude people jump out of your bathroom blind folded like a god damn magic show and ready to double team your girlfriend and," "It stops right there, and I think what my good friend Mitch is trying to say is, true love is blind."

-Old School
  • 12-03-2006 1:30 PM In reply to

• BLS BOB
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-27-2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 820

Plasmas are notorious for burning in, but ive have'nt had or heard many complaints about LCD. If you don't want burn in, from what I can tell DLP is the way to go.

Get your own Gamercard Sig.
    ITS NOT THAT IM GETTING OLD, YOUR MUSIC REALLY SUCKS
  • 12-03-2006 3:31 PM In reply to

• Gojira
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-16-2004
    • Usually spotted going to and from Tokyo Bay...
    • Posts 712

There are numerous differences between the styles of HD-capable tvs.

Plasma TVs use two panes which hold a gas. Electricity is sent through the gas which heats and gives you the bright colors that you see (technically speaking it's much more complicated, but you get the idea). Plasma TVs tend to be brighter and more vibrant colors because of this. The drawback is that the heat caused by the plasma can wear out the panes encasing it, sometimes burning certain colors/patterns into the screen over time. Also, the plasma itself can lose it's ability to hold the electrical charge, dulling colors, and eventually burning itself out, costing you thousands of dollarsafter a few years, either in replacing the plasma, or buying a new set. I don't recommend plasma in the least.

LCD as we all know is Liquid Crystal Display. You know, the screen that leaves the cool little multi-colored wake when you run your fingers across (which is very bad for it, btw). LCDs are generally significantly cheaper than plasma, and many DLPs, but operate similarly to the plasma. LCDs tend to use less electricity to get the same effect out of their pixels. This still gets you vibrant colors, usually sharper edges than on a plasma, and a longer life-span, provided temperature fluctations and roaming fingers don't interfere too much. Because of technical constraints, most LCDs don't go larger than 36", as the pixels would need to be enlarged, and consistency and resolution would suffer drastically. LCDs also have the potential to burn images onto the screen itself, but you would have to leave the same static image up for days on end. The pixels themselves can burn out over time, and if one goes, it could chain to others, but most of the time, you just end up with a solitary pixel here or there that doesn't work. If you're not looking for a big-screen, LCD is amazing (I'm using a 27" for both my computer and what little TV I watch or game on).

Bob mentioned DLP. DLP is probably my favorite big-screen option. Digital Light Processors use computer coponents to control a very small mirror, on which a beam of light is aimed. The mirrors reflect and refract the light up and onto the screen, where it's displayed normally. Unless you get one of the higher quality consoles, DLPs have, generally, duller colors than plasma, but the image is much more defined, uses very little electricity, and weighs close to the same. DLP sets areusually built around the same design as the old projection big screens' self-standing floor sets, but for the most part weigh less than 80 lbs and are significantly slimmer. The only real drawback to a DLP is should something happen to the components inside. Be it the mirror (moving parts) or the computer circuitry that controls everything. Fortunately, the DLP is generally less expensive than any of the other HD-capable TVs for it's size. Anything larger than 36" and you don't mind not being able to stick it to your wall, and DLP is the way to go, IMO.

HD just stands for High Definition. HD is the new standard of viewing quality, an all-digital signal with a high potential resolution, (older TV sets run at about 800x600 resolution, while HD ratings see things like 1080i, which is essentially about 3-4 times larger.) Imagine going from 640x480 on your computer, and then jumping up to 1920x1440. Think of HD in quality increase, as the step from VHS to DVD. Watch a movie on VHS, then watch the same movie on DVD and you'll know what I'm talking about.

As far as which to buy, it would depend entirely on your price range, sense of style, as well as how and where you'll be using the TV. I would LOVE to have a DLP, but I don't have the space, or the use for it yet. As it stands, my LCD works beautifully. There are benefits and drawbacks to each, so the best advice is to do research on the various brands. Everyone's got their niche in particular styles. Sony and Panasonic have among the best plasmas, Hitachi and Mitsubishi produce the best DLPs, Samsung, Dell, and JVC (IMO at least ;P) put out the best LCDs. 

"Caw, caw, *BANG* FUCK I'M DEAD!" - Top Dollar, The Crow

"Physics is like sex: It may yield practical results, but that's not why we do it." - XKCD

God created whiskey to stop the Irish from taking over the word.
  • 12-05-2006 2:16 PM In reply to

Ok I found something for you.

Buying An HDTV: What Do Gamers Need To Know?

• 12-05-2006 6:29 PM In reply to

thanx guys... hopefully I'll get enough $$$ this x-mas to invest in a TV for my 360

"True love is hard to find, sometimes you think you have true love then you catch the early flight home from San Diego, and a couple of nude people jump out of your bathroom blind folded like a god damn magic show and ready to double team your girlfriend and," "It stops right there, and I think what my good friend Mitch is trying to say is, true love is blind."

-Old School
  • 12-08-2006 9:15 AM In reply to

Well for LCD I'm not to sure about JVC or Dell. I wouldn't go with either of em. Dell just puts their name on someone elses' stuff and I have not really seen anything special from JVC...(shrugs)

DLP is probably the cheapest of the bunch for those on a budget!

There is a good gaming HD article from TeamXbox

http://features.teamxbox.com/xbox/1427/The-TeamXboxcom-Guide-to-HDTV/p1/

• 12-09-2006 7:10 AM In reply to

• KINGACE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-16-2004
    • Around here somewhere
    • Posts 702
    • Colonel

wow thanx for all the feedback guys......im probably gonna wait now cuz i figure I want the 1080 res. and they aint so cheap, but im gonna keep checkin, thanx for the advise pplzGeeked

Get one !!! Gamercard Sig.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)