in

Black Label Suicides

Play Xbox with Keyboard and Mouse.

Last post 10-09-2004 2:04 AM by Gojira. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-06-2004 1:33 PM

Play Xbox with Keyboard and Mouse.

SmartJoy® FRAG™ is a unique adapter that allows you to connect standard PS/2 compatible mice and keyboards to your PlayStation®2 or Xbox® console. You will be able to enjoy First-Person Shooters (FPS), or any other game where targeting is important, the way they are meant to be played.

Both versions, for PlayStation®2 and Xbox®, are fully programmable and come with pre-installed key configurations for the best games available on PlayStation®2 and Xbox®. Advanced features such as Deadzone adjustments and mouse control inversion guarantee best gaming experience with your favorite titles.

Ok there is a new device coming out that will allow you to connect your Xbox to a Keyboard and Mouse and program that to be your controller.  It even has the connection for your live headset.    There seems to be some grumbling about this would be cheating what does everyone here think?

Manufacture's Page
    Team Xbox Article
    Team Xbox Forum Discussion

Anyone that has heard me talk about my Xbox setup knows that I already have a desk, Keyboard and mouse right in front of me when I play.  When I first saw this I though it would be nice to try out and see how it fits into my system.  Then after reading some of the post on the Team Xbox forums where people are calling it cheating I'm not to sure.  I know for myself that I can play all day long using the Xbox controller but when I play PC games with the KB and mouse my hands will be hurting after about and hour or two. 

I do think that I will pick one of these up with then come out just to give it a try to test the idea that it would give an unfair advantage.

• 10-06-2004 5:16 PM In reply to

• Gojira
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-16-2004
    • Usually spotted going to and from Tokyo Bay...
    • Posts 712

Re: Play Xbox with Keyboard and Mouse.

Being a PC gamer as long as I have been, as well as a console gamer for even longer, this is an interesting subject.

Personally I think it's an excellent idea. While the controller works well enough and I'm accustomed to it, I actually prefer K/M (keyboard/mouse) over a controller any day. The main reasoning behind this is I perform better with both the demanded and inherent sensitivity involved in K/M combos, as opposed to the relative lack of these in a controller, accentuating my sniper tendencies Smile . Also, I'm used to spending hours at the PC, so the ergonomics, or lack thereof, don't bother me.

As for the argument that K/M will provide an unfair advantage is bogus in my opinion. Sure, mice will give you slightly better accuracy as far as aiming, the keyboard doesn't really allow for as smooth direction changes as the controller. The programming of buttons is another point at which there are equally balanced pro's and con's. Sure, you can program movement combos (theoretically), but you'd have to stop pressing your movement or other normal keystrokes to hit these macros, at which point, you could easily get fragged by someone going after you. I don't see how it's going to be as unbalanced (in favor of EITHER the con or K/M) as people are making it out to be.

Besides, so what if PC vets go and play Halo 2 using K/M on LIVE, the vets STILL playing the first one on XBConnect should theoretically be better anyway. If anything, it'll make the game a HELLUVA lot more intense, and therefore MUCH more fun.

All in all, I think it's an excellent turn of events, and I'll DEFINITELY be picking this up. I'll give you a hand in the testing if you'd like Car, it'd be a little better to get a couple people using this against a couple of people using the controller.

Thanks for the heads-up Car, I may actually play the Multiplayer in H2 with this...I just get THOROUGHLY owned in XBC Halo...
    "Caw, caw, *BANG* FUCK I'M DEAD!" - Top Dollar, The Crow

"Physics is like sex: It may yield practical results, but that's not why we do it." - XKCD

God created whiskey to stop the Irish from taking over the word.
  • 10-06-2004 6:03 PM In reply to

I really want one of these,  it would clear up some cables on my desk.  I started to do a pre order and when I got to the shipping page it was $6 for 2-4 week shipping and $21 for 1 to 3 day shipping.  I'm not going to pay that much for shipping.  I hope best buy will carry these.

• 10-09-2004 2:04 AM In reply to

• Gojira
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-16-2004
    • Usually spotted going to and from Tokyo Bay...
    • Posts 712

I doubt they will, BB has a tendency to only carry a few brands, outside of the Maj. Manufacturers, and USUALLY only Pelican at that...I'll check into it though.

I'm going to check a few of my other import sites and see if I can't find it cheaper.
    "Caw, caw, *BANG* FUCK I'M DEAD!" - Top Dollar, The Crow

"Physics is like sex: It may yield practical results, but that's not why we do it." - XKCD

God created whiskey to stop the Irish from taking over the word.
  • 10-15-2004 4:30 AM In reply to

• EViL
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-28-2004
    • Posts 11

dude i think having a mouse would give people who have played a lot of CS on computer a HUGE advantage

new gamertags

digital geehod

killerskills06
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)